Pages

Monday, August 26, 2013

Coco Cafe

It was a hot and sunny summer day on the not-so-mean streets of Brooklyn. After waiting an hour in an unshaded line to get to the Bushwick Block Party (technically Williamsburg) I was in need of some refreshments. I spot the free Coco Water booth but I hate the taste of coconut water so I start to walk away until I hear Latte.


Apparently the awful coconut water has been mixed with delicious coffee. These were chilled and very cold. I asked for the original latte flavor and braced for overwhelming coconut. Luckily the flavor was not there it was just a hint of coconut and smooth weak coffee. It tasted cold and refreshing but nothing was distinct. I actually liked the original latte enough that I would buy it in the future.


The mocha was not as good but I never been a fan of mocha drinks. There is always a bittersweet cocoa flavor to mocha drinks and his was no different. I really want to try the vanilla since that is usually the best but I am going have to wait until the next free stand at some local festival.

Very little information on the Coco Cafe website but the drink seem healthy enough. Some calcium and potassium and surprisingly a bit of protein. Vita Coco is the main site but that equally lack any detailed information.


Josh Rubin over at Cool Hunting thought it was good and raved about the hippie-ness of the the fair trade and natural stuff. I do not trust all the fair trade all natural stuff since it is more of a fad.

While over at Food Junk both the writer and visitors seem to miss the coconut kick and found it greasy because of the carrageenan which is a seaweed thickener that gives drinks a milky texture. Yes you feel that greasy quality to Coco Cafe but that was expected as the coconut water on its own is to sharp and watery.

Recommendation: Buy it if you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment